Saturday 27 August 2011

Jump-around Challenge

Yesterday on Fabfit I represented the FIERCE (^^^) team in a physical challenge...

A timed 5 sets of 50 jumping jacks + 50 mountain climbers

I entered this challenge for two reasons.

1. This is be pretty much the first "physical competition" I have done since I was an entrant in a city-wide school track meet for shot put at age 9. After that, my medical issues started and I was not allowed to be in any "competitive sports."

2. I wanted to see if I could do it, and how I would do time-wise. My endurance for cardio is not that great, and it's something I really want to work on. I don't think it's because I'm out of shape... I mean, I've been working out like a mad woman for a few years now. I think it could be my legs. My hip is wonky, and it makes my knee wonky too. The physio said running as a steady exercise is not really in the cards for me, so I need to get my cardio in other ways. Shannon and I are hopefully going to get ourselves a stationary bike for Christmas.

Anyway, I set up my timer, laced up my shoes and started jumping. I had originally set myself a goal time of 10 to 12 minutes, but after I finished two rounds  and my time was around 5 minutes, I realized 15 minutes was more realistic. I was REALLY pushing it, but I had to stop and rest for about 10 seconds every set, and I couldn't "run" all 50 (l+r) mountain climbers every time... some were fast walking, but I kept moving.  I was super happy with my final time of 14:10.


I've decided that I am going to change up my workout schedule and do some of these kinds of cardio exercises on alternate Sundays. The other Sundays will be Jillian Michaels' Blast Fat, Boost Metabolism as fast as I can!!  I'm planning a workout that looks like this...

5 circuits timed of
30 jumping jacks
30 mountain climbers
30 Xcountry ski jumps
30 high-knees

2 comments:

  1. Kat!!!! I absolutely love this girl!!! You are amazing!!! You always push yourself to be your best!!! THAT is the mark of a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go for doing it Kat!!! It just sounded super intense to me! I'm such a wuss when it comes to mountain climbers, birpees, etc. I guess a good reason to do them more often?
    ~Ang

    ReplyDelete